Throughout my career as an employer and now as a professional recruiter I have reviewed and evaluated thousands upon thousands of resumes and applications across various sectors. Today, I mainly deal with the resumes of teachers and other academic professionals, and sadly they are by far some of the worst examples I have come across!
For the most part, academic professionals have very little experience in a corporate environment where knowing your target market and marketing yourself is paramount to success. They tend to overemphasize their educational credentials and under-emphasize their professional skills and career history. All this, compounded with the fact that many job seekers don’t understand their own professional suitability means that most applicants never even make it through the door.
That’s why we have created this eight part series of articles to help any professional successfully develop an effective application, from your initial search to your final interview.
The two most important questions before you begin
Most employers receive 150 applicants or more for every job post. Competition is fierce, so it’s essential that you ask yourself these two key questions before starting out:
- What is this employer looking for in an ideal candidate?
- Do I have what it takes to be that person?
Once you are confident that you’ve answered these questions, and you’re an appropriate candidate, you can work through this eight part series of articles to ensure you communicate this clearly and powerfully to a potential employer.
Finding your Ideal Job 101 – Research, Resumes, Cover Letters and Interviews
- Finding your Ideal Job 101: Part 1 – Knowing Yourself – The importance of understanding what your qualified for and your target job market
- Finding your Ideal Job 101: Part 2 – Where to Find Jobs – Where and how to find jobs these days
- Finding your Ideal Job 101: Part 3 – Resume Formatting – 10 easy formatting rules to ensure you develop an effective, professional resume
- Finding your Ideal Job 101: Part 4 – Resume Content – What information to include in your resume and where to put it
- Finding your Ideal Job 101: Part 5 – Resume Keywords and Language – How to get noticed
- Finding Your Ideal Job 101: Part 6 – Cover Letters – How to write them and why they matter
- Finding your Ideal Job 101: Part 7 – What Not to Do – 10 simple ways not to get hired
- Finding your Ideal Job 101: Part 8 – Interviews – Tips for acing your Interview