Shawnigan Lake School
START DATE: 25/10/2019
Shawnigan Lake, B.C, Canada
CONTRACT TYPE: Part-Time
Registered Nurse (Part-time)
Shawnigan Lake School is looking for a registered nurse, interested in working part-time, a maximum of 16 hours per week. Shifts are scheduled on a weekly basis for daytime, evenings, or weekends. Outside of regular hours, a nurse is always available on call and can be reached by calling the Health Centre.
This is a contract opportunity commencing in November 2019 and concluding in June 2020.
- Currently registered with BCCNP
- Valid CPR-C AED certificate
- Emergency room or pediatrics experience is strongly preferred
- Tact and absolute discretion in dealing with all matters
- Independent but with the ability to work as part of a team
- Flexibility in approach to people and to working arrangements
- Able to respond calmly, quickly and willingly to urgent and unexpected requests
- Strong interpersonal skills and communication skills
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the Director of Health Services, the tasks of the Registered Nurse include but are not limited to:
Day to day and ad hoc:
- Provide day to day assessment and treatment for students who are injured.
- Ensuring that students are seen promptly and any further treatment is identified.
- Providing healthcare services to students throughout the day, managing students who are unable to attend class and communicating with teachers, house directors and coaches.
- Manage student bookings and follow-ups for in-house doctors’ clinics.
- Provide seasonal flu vaccine for students
- Ensure Epipens are not outdated and are in place as per protocol.
- Ordering supplies and restocking, ordering student supplies from the pharmacy.
- Managing student medications that are kept in the clinic as well as weekly dosettes kept with students in their Houses.
- Ensure first aid kits for teams and away trips are stocked and available to sign out.
- Maintenance of the health Centre, ensuring an attractive, hygienic room, suitably equipped for serving the medical needs of students and staff.
- Contact parents as needed regarding significant medical concerns.
- Being available to staff leading school trips to offer advice and information regarding individual students’ medication and health conditions.
- Managing student appointments within both Shawnigan Lake School and external health and medical centers.
- Coordinating with transportation to ensure students arrive at their various health and medical appointments
- Ongoing management of students covered through international insurance plans, by, coordinating student paperwork, invoices and liaising with the accounting department and other applicable agencies e.g. physician offices; laboratory; hospital; physio; athletic therapy etc.
- Work with Public Health nurses to screen students who may require routine immunization updates
- Organize immunization clinics with Public Health to provide both routine immunizations and emergency clinics in the event of a community outbreak.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter expressing your interest to the attention of Heather Craib, Director of Health Services by clicking APPLY.
Closes when the vacancy is filled.
Shawnigan Lake School is a leading co-educational, university preparatory boarding school on Vancouver Island. Nestled along the shores of the lake that shares its name, Shawnigan has a 100-year tradition of excellence, specializing in a complete education. It is the largest boarding school in Canada. We offer a very competitive compensation package and a nurturing, family-friendly workplace.