Glenlyon Norfolk School (GNS) is an independent day school that is a caring and thriving community. As one of fifteen IB World Continuum schools in Canada offering three International Baccalaureate programs, GNS is proud of its unique '/IB Advantage'/: a 21st-Century education which educates the whole child and creates global thinkers.
We are a strong community-minded team at GNS with a big heart and a strong work ethic. We are looking for like-minded individuals who will share our passion for preparing outstanding young men and women in making positive differences in the world. We are currently seeking exceptional candidates for the following full-time opportunity:
Start: August 2019
The Administrative Assistant is responsible for the efficient day-to-day operation of the Head’s office and also provides accounts payable support to the Finance Department. This position provides exceptional service and exemplifies a caring, can-do attitude in support of GNS’s mission and values. Demonstrating initiative and pride in performance, the Administrative Assistant contributes positively to a respectful and productive work environment and facilitates strong professional relationships among the GNS community.
Provides Administrative support to the Head of School by:
- seeking opportunities to better support the Head to accomplish more and be more effective;
- receiving, welcoming and assisting visitors to the Administrative Building;
- receiving and screening calls and mail; reviewing voice mail; prioritizing and notifying the Head;
- organizing the Head’s calendar, scheduling appointments, and meetings, and arranging travel and hotel accommodations;
- briefing the Head on the nature of meetings and upcoming activities; anticipating and preparing for such events including the organization of documentation and other related materials;
- preparing confidential correspondence and other materials, including Board correspondence, communications with parents and students, and communications with other schools;
- ensuring all correspondence handled by the Head is retained appropriately, maintaining confidential and other records in accordance with school policies and procedures;
- assisting in the preparation of reports, presentations, and spreadsheets;
- maintaining confidentiality in all matters.
Manages the day to day affairs of the Head’s office by:
- engaging with members of the faculty, staff and Parents’ Auxiliary to support the organization of events; coordination of invitations, development of handout materials, arrangement of speakers, facility, seating, catering and volunteers to support various events;
- purchasing supplies, sending reminders and ensuring timeliness of event activities and support functions;
- ordering and picking up supplies, gifts, flowers, and catering items for events, as needed;
- providing support for administrative committees, including scheduling meetings, attending meetings (taking, transcribing and distributing minutes when required);
- coordinating and preparing for visits with other schools or external agencies such as the Ministry of Education, IB, ISA, CAIS and Round Square;
- assists the Head to prepare and vet communications from the Head’s office;
Performs the following accounts payable functions by:
- verifying, processing, and reconciling a wide range of payable transactions (including credit card activity and purchases), prioritizing invoices according to cash discount potential and payment terms;
- providing guidance and training to staff on school policy regarding purchase orders, invoice processing, expense reports, service contracts and other financial matters, and assisting in creation of or work flow relating to paper and/or online purchase orders;
- liaising with staff and vendors to promptly resolve issues and ensure internal controls and policies are strictly adhered to;
- maintaining all files and documentation in accordance with school policies; ensure accurate reporting and reconciliation in the school’s financial management system; work with auditors as required;
- coordinating and preparing documentation for wire transfers and bank drafts and advising staff on proper procedure;
- assisting in quarterly and year-end closing procedures including set up of all prepaid expenses, reconciliation of all capital purchases and preparation of accruals;
Performs other related duties by:
- providing administrative support to the Director of Finance when required
- providing administrative support to the Human Resources Manager, when required
- providing coverage for other finance functions as needed
- undertaking special projects and events as requested
- Completion of a college diploma in business administration or related area or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in an administrative position.
- Experience organizing receptions and various special events.
- Exposure to accounts payable is an asset
Knowledge and Skills:
- Must be results-driven, a self-starter and highly motivated with an interpersonal style that fosters collaborative and productive relationships with a diverse group of people.
- High professional and ethical standards for handling confidential information.
- High degree of integrity and dedication to the mission of the school.
- Must have a positive, can-do attitude and a commitment to the GNS values of truth, courage, caring, individuality and community.
- Must have exceptional attention to detail, high degree of accuracy, and a strong aptitude for working with numbers.
- Must be able to work with a Chart of Accounts, confirm appropriateness of coding, and be comfortable following up and maintaining controls with varying levels in the organization
- Ability to manage multiple deliverables and deadlines, especially in the face of regular interruptions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Superior computer skills in word processing, presentations, spreadsheets, and databases.
- Willingness to learn and assist various departments as needed.
- Familiarity with Mac, an asset.
Glenlyon Norfolk School offers a comprehensive total compensation package and the opportunity to work with an exceptional community of professionals. Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter indicating personal strengths and accomplishments by visiting the following link: https://easyapply.co/job/administrative-assistant-1606?rcid=isabc
Application Deadline: Friday, July 26, 2019.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.