Shawnigan Lake School is a leading co-educational, university preparatory boarding school on Vancouver Island. Nestled along the shores of the lake that shares its name, Shawnigan has a 100-year tradition of excellence, specializing in a complete education. It is the largest boarding school in Canada. We offer a very competitive compensation package and a nurturing, family-friendly workplace.
DIRECTOR OF FOOD SERVICES
Shawnigan Lake School is searching for a Director of Food Services to lead their awesome kitchen team! This position administers the year-round food service program at Shawnigan Lake School, serving over 500 students and 270 staff, in addition to guests and visiting groups from around the world.
Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Director of Food Services works closely with the Food Services Manager to lead a dedicated team of over 40 staff members. Kitchen staff include Cooks, Prep Cooks, and Kitchen Helpers ranging in age from 15 to 65.
A strong background in all areas of food services management is required, with particular expertise in customer service, personnel management and training, and administration. A demonstrated passion for leading, mentoring, developing, and coaching others is also a must for this position.
Subsidized housing, if required, is reserved for the successful candidate and their family on-campus for 1 year commencing at the start of employment.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Director of Food Services manages the School’s largest department in the Operations Division by coordinating all food service activities from the Kitchen to the Dining Hall, to multiple locations across campus. Responsibilities include:
• Menu planning for weekly menu, special functions, and outside groups
• Ordering and purchasing daily supplies, including food, beverages, cleaning and paper products
• Assessing daily, weekly, and long-term staffing needs
• Administering recruitment, training, mentoring, and performance management practices
• Assisting the Food Services Manager with shift scheduling and payroll processes, as needed
• Processing and responding to internal and external client requests
• Events planning with the External Programs Coordinator, external guest groups, and internal events coordinators
• Supporting and developing team members by leading Kitchen staff meetings, and by assisting with the day and meals progression when needed
• Ensuring rigorous sanitation, food practice, and workplace safety standards are routinely met
• Minimum 15 years’ cooking and baking experience, with at least 5 years’ managing a kitchen with 15 or more employees
• Red Seal Journeyman Chef and completion of a two-year post-secondary diploma in culinary studies or equivalent
• Significant experience with food production and processing, large scale special event planning, banqueting, and the provision of special diet meals
• Proficient with planning and accurately managing large budgets, including the costing of menus and food items, and the preparation of profit and loss statements
• Ability to deal confidently with interpersonal issues and the associated challenges of leading a diverse team
• Must be detail-oriented, able to meet deadlines, and willing to adapt to changing needs
• Excellent organization, communications, team building, and problem-solving skills
• Current Food Safe Level 2, WHMIS, OFA 1, and Serving It Right certifications
• A solid understanding of workplace compliance, including food safety, labour standards, and OHS regulation
If you think you will make a great addition to Shawnigan Lake School’s dynamic team, please apply with a cover letter and resume through the attached link.
Applications will be reviewed and assessed as they are received. This opportunity closes on Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 8pm PDT.