Queen Margaret’s School is accepting applications for a combined Math & Physical Education (PE) — Middle Years teacher to join our school, beginning August 26, 2019. This is a 1.0 FTE position.
Working with the Senior STEM Department and the Grade 8-9 Teaching Team, the successful candidate will bring their demonstrated passion for math education to Grade 8 and 9 students by teaching BC'/s math curriculum using inquiry driven practices and relevant technologies.
The successful candidate will also work with the School'/s Athletic Department co-teaching physical education classes to Grades 6-9 students and assisting with athletic events for the Junior and Senior Schools. They will also be responsible for working in collaboration with teacher colleagues to develop a safe, nurturing, and health-oriented learning environment.
The candidate must possess or be eligible for Teacher certification through the BC Ministry of Education Teacher Regulation Branch.
Teachers interested in joining Queen Margaret’s School community must embrace the ethos of an independent school education, develop positive relationships with all community members, and contribute to a collaborative learning community. Dedicated time for collaborating with a team to design and implement cross-curricular units of study throughout the year is provided.
Applications must include proof of teacher certification and degrees obtained.
- Plan and teach engaging and relevant math classes to Grades 8 and 9 students, following the Prescribed Learning Outcomes (PLOs) outlined in the current BC Ministry of Education curriculum
- Plan and teach physical education classes to Grades 6 to 9 students, eas part of a team, following the Prescribed Learning Outcomes (PLOs) outlined in the current BC Ministry of Education curriculum
- Create a safe and nurturing learning environment
- Evaluate students and report on progress formally (report cards) and informally with families
- Coordinate with homeroom teachers and learning support staff as required
- Coordinate with the Junior and Senior Athletic Directors to organize school-wide fitness activities
- Coordinate extracurricular and intramural sports offerings for middle-years students, including gym scheduling
- Coordinate middle years athletic teams, including coaching and tournament coordination
- In collaboration win the Junior and Senior Athletic Directors, maintain athletic equipment and make budget recommendations for purchase/replacement of equipment
- Bring energy, enthusiasm and a love for learning to the classroom
- Attend meetings and school events as required
- Lead co-curricular assignments with enthusiasm
- Model the core values of the school
- Collaborate with peers to support a student-centered learning environment
- Take an active part in all professional development activities, including staff meetings
The following are requirements for this position:
- Graduate of a recognized B.Ed program
- Proof of BC Ministry of Education Teacher Certification
- Successful experience teaching middle years students
- Coaching experience
- Outdoor Education experience
- Strong organizational and communication skills with a proven ability to communicate and develop relationships with a wide array of stakeholders (students, parents, teacher colleagues, community members, etc.
- Commitment to continuous professional growth and professional learning
- Proven ability to motivate students through meaningful curriculum and inquiry-driven learning
- Demonstrated ability to develop strong learning relationships through the provision of a safe and trusting learning environment
- Experience using project-based learning approaches and commitment to regularly engage in experiential learning opportunities with students
- Familiarity with relevant assessment strategies to provide continual feedback
- Demonstrated ability to effectively differentiate and be responsive to student needs
- Experience, sensitivity and awareness of working within a multicultural environment
- Willingness to embrace the ethos of an independent school and make a commitment to the extensive co-curricular life of an independent school
Preferences will be given to candidates who also have the following skills and qualifications:
- Standard First Aid certification or above
- Valid driver’s license and clean driver abstract
- National Coaching Certification (NCCP)
- National Lifesaving Society (NLS) Certification — Pool