1.0 FTE, Full Time
Starting September 1, 2019
York House School, located in the heart of Vancouver, is one of Canada’s leading independent schools for girls. Founded in 1932 by seven progressive and insightful women, York House provides an outstanding education for approximately 650 girls from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12.
York House School is inviting applications from compassionate, inspiring and energetic Guidance Counsellors committed to supporting our students in living happy, healthy lives. The Senior School Counsellor (SSC) at YHS is a specialist in child and youth development with knowledge that assists all school personnel to respond better to the personal, social, and educational needs of students. Leadership, advocacy, experience and collaboration are the skills the SSC will draw on to work closely with our current counsellor to continue to provide a preventative, proactive school-counseling program. The SSC is an integral member of the School Based Team (SBT), as one of two Senior School Counsellors at the Senior School and in partnership with the Learning Strategies Coordinator, the Director of Senior School, and the Assistant Director of Senior School. This position will also include teaching Peer Listening, a new course we are offering for the 2019 - 2020 academic year, as well as being a Teacher Advisor for a small group of students daily. We are looking for someone who is passionate about student well-being and interested in sharing their learning with our community.
- British Columbia Teacher Certification or Independent School Teacher Certificate
- Masters in Counselling Psychology is an asset
- Counselling certification is preferred
- Ability and qualifications required to evaluate student work
- At least 5 years experience in a counselling role is preferred
- Independent School experience considered an asset
- Coaching and/or extra-curricular experience is an asset
- Mindfulness training is an asset
Counselling: The SSC provides individual and group counseling services to meet the developmental and preventive needs of students.
- Demonstrates knowledge of counselling theories by selecting appropriate models and techniques for individual and group counseling
- Uses appropriate counselling processes and techniques for individual and group sessions to meet developmental and preventive needs of students
- Uses appropriate assessment and diagnostic procedures for determining and structuring individual and group counselling services
Program Planning: The SSC works collaboratively with another Senior School Counsellor to establish the school counselling program.
- Organizes the counselling program by assessing needs, setting goals, and formulating a plan of action and program evaluation
- Initiates and coordinates school-wide guidance and counselling activities including those focusing on diversity and inclusion, mental health and wellness.
- This position includes facilitation and growth of the Peer Listening Course in its inaugural year.
- Consults with the Career and Life Connections coordinator with a view to periodic co-development of workshops and activities related to curriculum components.
- Manages time effectively and provides services on schedule
- Seeks input from teachers and staff in making decisions about the school counselling program
- Work collaboratively with the Admissions and Administrative teams to facilitate transition sessions for incoming Grade 7 students in preparation for entry to the Senior School.
Consulting: The SSC consults with students, parents, teachers, Junior School counsellor and other school and community personnel to assist in meeting the needs of students.
- Demonstrates knowledge of consulting processes and techniques with students, parents, teachers, and administrators
- Assists parents and teachers in understanding and responding to developmental levels of students
- Presents instructional/informational programs to groups of students, parents, and teachers (e.g., parent education programs, group guidance, teacher in-service).
Professional Practices and Development: The SSC adheres to ethical standards of the counselling profession, and abides by the laws, policies, and procedures that govern the schools. The SSC also participates in professional associations and upgrades professional knowledge and skills when needed.
- Adheres to ethical standards of the counselling profession
- Follows the laws, policies, and procedures which govern school programs
- Carries out other school duties assigned by the administration, provided these assignments do not interfere with the counseling program and services to students
- Takes part in professional development activities to improve knowledge and skills, and to share own research/learning within and beyond York House School.
- Knowledge of the current research on girls and learning, developing critical 21st century global competencies
- Demonstrated experience as a dynamic, innovative and enthusiastic educator
- A proven track record of the sustained commitment to professional growth and improvement
- Diplomatic, tactful, courteous and calm when dealing with challenges
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively with all stakeholders (students, parents, staff, faculty, business owners and employees)
- Demonstrated exceptional organizational, planning and time management skills
- Positive mindset, committed to personal wellness, motivated, resourceful and detail-oriented
To learn more about this exceptional community please visit us at www.yorkhouse.ca
A criminal record and vulnerable sector check is a requirement.
York House School values diversity and provides an inclusive work environment.
Closing Date: April 23, 2019
We thank all candidates in advance. We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview.