Collingwood School is a coeducational day school located on two campuses in West Vancouver, BC. Our purpose is to teach, model, inspire and encourage our students, ultimately preparing them to become successful global citizens. With an innovative, evolving approach to teaching, the totality of our curriculum provides students with a wealth of diverse, meaningful and transformative educational experiences.
We are seeking a Trip Leader to join our Explore Program at Morven Campus. We are looking for an Outdoor Education specialist to deliver 3 weeks of our Grade 8 hiking and backpacking program in the Fall with potential for more work beyond that. We invite applications from candidates who exemplify leadership, teamwork, professionalism, and a well-rounded background in experiential education and/or leading hiking trips to complement this highly regarded program. This is a Temporary position from September 10 to October 9 2019.
- Support the delivery of our well-established Outdoor Education program; including commitment to three Wed-Fri overnight trips
- Commitment to high standards of professional conduct, policies, and procedures in relation to risk management, industry best practices, and curricular outcomes
- Assist with the assessment of students for specific learning objectives as well as student report writing
- Experience in delivering safe, high quality outdoor programming to youth
- Current Wilderness First Aid Certification (80-hour equivalent)
- The ability and flexibility to co-instruct with other members of the Explore Department
- Valid Driver’s license (Class 4 preferred)
- Preference is given to those who also possess some or most of the following qualifications:
- Valid BC Teaching Certificate OR an undergraduate degree in a related field
- Demonstrated excellence in interpersonal relations with both adults and youth
- Superior organizational and communication skills
- Clear vision of the role that outdoor education plays in the personal development of young people
- A high level of physical fitness and passion for the outdoors
- Professional training and/or certification in the some of the following areas: Sea Kayaking, Nordic skiing, Avalanche safety, Outdoor Council of Canada Leadership, etc.
- Orientation and preparation: 3 days the week of September 10,11, 12 for 8am-4pm
- September 16-17 - 8am – 4pm; September 18-20 overnight trip
- September 23-24 - 8am-4pm; -Sept 25-27 overnight trip
- Sept 30-Oct 1 - 8am-4pm; Oct 2-4 overnight trip
- Oct 8, 9am -2pm days for report writing and wrap up
- Successful candidates may be considered for further work with other seasonal programs. These run early December, January, February, March, late-April to mid-May.
Compensation: $286 per day
Our “Must Haves”
- Proven work ethic with utmost integrity
- Self-awareness, with a desire for constant self improvement (goal –oriented)
- Self motivated, energetic and fun
If this role is a good fit, we would love to hear from you! Please submit a cover letter detailing your suitability for the position along with your resume, including three employment references, by May 13th 2019 to Eric Waters, Head of Explore. Please include the words ‘Explore Job Posting’ in your email.
We sincerely thank all applicants for your interest however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.