Stratford Hall seeks a forward-thinking, dynamic educator who will serve as the instructional and administrative leader of the Junior School, and who will gain the respect and confidence of a motivated staff, an outstanding student body and supportive parents. It is essential for the principal to have a thorough understanding of best practices in elementary education. The Junior School Principal is a member of the school’s Senior Leadership Team and will be provided operational autonomy within the context of the policies established by the Head of School and Board of Governors.
The Junior School Principal ensures that all programs and practices of the faculty and staff support the school’s mission and that all students are provided with an outstanding educational program, the foundation of which is the BC Curriculum and International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme.
The Junior School Principal will be responsible for the following areas under the supervision of the Head of School:
● Teaching and Learning: evaluate and develop the teaching and learning program to meet the rigorous standards of the BC Ministry of Education and International Baccalaureate; be aware of current curriculum developments; encourage and lead curriculum innovation; oversee and monitor assessment and reporting; facilitate the ongoing development of support for students with diverse learning needs
● Student Welfare: advise on student admissions and placement; maintain student records; oversee student social and emotional welfare and student safety; organize regular assemblies and other activities; oversee activities offered to Junior School students; take an active interest in a diverse student population and ensure students with divergent learning needs are supported
● Staff Leadership: identify staffing needs; interview, appoint and evaluate teachers and support staff; lead orientation activities for new Junior School teachers and staff; conduct regular staff meetings; identify and mentor leaders within the faculty; ensure the ongoing professional development of all Junior School teachers and support staff
● School Community: maintain positive relationships with teachers, students, parents, the Board of Governors and the wider community; facilitate appropriate contact between staff and parents; attend and participate in school events and activities both during the school day and outside of school hours
● Administration: lead the preparation of the Junior School timetable; compile the calendar of events for the Junior School; supervise and enforce safety regulations; identify operational and capital needs in 3 collaboration with Junior School teachers; participate in the preparation of the annual budget and oversee the Junior School budget
● Communications: maintain effective communications within the Junior School and with parents; liaise with the Senior School Principal and other faculty to ensure a carefully articulated program between the Junior and Senior Schools
● Technology: identify technology needs; support the integration of technology across the curriculum; demonstrate competence and confidence in the use of technology in the school setting
● Facilities: optimize campus facilities
Skills and personal attributes:
Education and prior experience:
The salary and benefits will be competitive with other principal positions in similar-sized independent schools in British Columbia and commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate, including healthcare and retirement contribution.
Apply by email according to the instructions below. Applications must be submitted in the form and manner requested. Please do not send any information other than the following:
All of the above materials must be emailed in a single PDF attachment to Dean Croy, Head of School. Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Candidates should note that, in the event an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, the school reserves the right to make an appointment before the deadline mentioned below and bring the search to an early close.
Timeline for appointment: